Giving a Lifeline to Victims

Recently, I had the opportunity to emcee an event for Liza's Lifeline...a local nonprofit that helps domestic violence victims here in the Lowcountry. I'm lucky that I get the opportunity to emcee a few things in town, but I must say, the event Breaking the Silence Awards for the Zonta Club that benefitted Liza's Lifeline was probably one of my favorites. Everyone that works on these sad cases are true angels. Although I've never been a victim of domestic violence, I have been a victim of violence against women and it truly boils my blood.

At the event, I heard stories about women who just wanted to change their life, but unfortunately, their lives were cut short by someone they knew. It broke my heart. However, I felt as if I was meant to be there that night. It made me connect to my feelings about Peyton's murder and gave me a renewed spirit to continue to help other women out there from becoming a victim. So when I received an email today from Liza's Lifeline, I felt the least I could do is help spread the word.

Yesterday was Peyton's birthday and there's not a day that does go by that I don't think about her...and I love what is happening this week to help Liza's Lifeline...and it all starts with a 4th grader!!

On February 10th, Liza's Lifeline will partner with 4TH grader Mary Katherine Kern from Belle Hall Elementary School as she hosts a Change the World Electronic Recycling Day project as part of her SAIL curriculum. Her vision is that community members can come together and recycle phones and other electronic products that they no longer need. “I am hoping to change the world by having an electronic recycling day at Belle Hall Elementary. Electronic waste takes up a lot of space in our landfills and does not break down for millions of years”, says Kern. All collected cell phones will be directly donated by Kern and Liza’s Lifeline to Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine in order to assist victims of domestic violence.

Recycled electronic products and cell phones can be dropped off between the hours of 8am – 2pm behind the fire station off of Paul Foster Rd at the entrance to the Belle Hall Elementary parking lot. Mary Katherine Kern and Liza’s Lifeline will be on-site from 8:00am – 8:30am to thank people for their donations and answer questions about this project and cause.

South Carolina ranks ninth in the nation for the amount of homicides caused by criminal domestic violence, and this crime has been labeled a crisis for the Palmetto State by the Office of the South Carolina Attorney General. To assist in the efforts for safety of victims of domestic violence, Liza’s Lifeline was established in 2008.

Liza's Lifeline is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to assisting domestic violence victims, their families and pets, and the community. The organization was founded in memory of Liza Ellen Warner, a 29-year old woman who was shot and murdered by her husband. Liza's Lifeline assists victims of domestic violence through financial assistance, education, and social change. The organization seeks to raise funds and resources to help victims of domestic violence and their families, increase public awareness of this terrible crime, arrange foster care for victims' pets that are in transition, and work to improve South Carolina laws and policies regarding domestic violence. Please visit www.lizaslifelinesc.org for more information.


Here's a 2010 report (Based on data from 2008) that is devastating....

"39 females were murdered by males in South Carolina in 2008, a total of 1.69 per 100,000. This per capita rate was 1.69 in last year’s report. One of the female homicide victims was 18 years of age or younger, and the average homicide victim age was 43 years old. Of these victims, 19 were black, and 20 were white. For those homicides in which the victim to offender relationship could be identified, 97% of reported homicides (37 out of 38 identified) were murdered by someone they knew. Of the homicide victims who knew their offenders, 65% (24 victims) were murdered by a male they knew. This total was 66% (27 victims) in the previous report. "

My best friend, Peyton Tuthill, who was murdered 2/24/99 
If we all work together, we can help stop this cycle of violence.


On a personal side note*** 
I still miss Peyton with all my heart and know that she will always be with me. On February 24th (in just 17 days), it will be the 12 year anniversary of her death and to you that may seem like over a decade ago...to me, it seems like yesterday.  You can find out more by visiting www.peytontuthill.org




Thanks, Ryan 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye to a Vibrant Soul - Dottie Frank

Farewell to Dean Stephens of WCIV-TV