Some time to reflect

On July 13, I thought the next day - July 14 - would be just an ordinary day. I would get up, drink my espresso, read the Post and Courier and head into my office for a day of work. Boy was I wrong! On July 14, Darren and I awoke to a phone call telling me that my mother, Lana, was having a heart attack and would be taken to the ER at a local hospital. As we drove there, my mind raced, "Could it be a mild one? How could this happen?" etc. and a thousand more questions swirled in my head. When we arrived, my mom was being taken into the Cath Lab where they needed to put a stent in her heart. The physician, Dr. Yarborough, looked at me and said, "Your mom is very sick. We hope she can make it" and BOOM.... 
my life changed in an instant. 


Now one month and 9 days later, I still am feeling the affects from mom's heart attack. After a very scary time in a medical induced coma where she lived off an ECMO machine for weeks, she came out of the coma with her senses in tack. I was relieved. But now there are several complications before she can truly come home. However, she's doing well - and many are calling it a miracle that she lived. 


During this time, I pondered how hard it was to be a business owner and yet my whole life was crumbling around me. Many of my clients had an outpouring of support and I can't thank them enough. But this was the first time I had experienced something like this. When Peyton and Jason died, I had a job that was willing to give me sick time or vacation time but now, there isn't sick or vacation time when you're your own boss. It was quite the wake-up call. But I pulled up my big girl pants and tried to get back to work but I felt I needed to let people know that when things like this happen when you own your own business, it's ok to lean on those friends and colleagues around you who have vowed to help you in any way they can. Now I'm sure some author of a book on working in America would give me the stink eye from bringing this up, but I do believe without the help of those fabulous workers who have done so much for me, I wouldn't be where I am today. 


I still have some bumps in the road...I have to rearrange my schedule for last minute surgeries for mom, I can't make it to networking events or emcee events when asked, I haven't cooked dinner for my husband in weeks because we spend every night at the hospital...but that's OK, because I know soon, things will be back to normal and BIGGER AND BETTER.


 For those who didn't understand my situation, I understand... and I hope that you never have to, because losing a parent is a large fear and scary thought and I almost was in that category. 


My mom has a long road of rehabilitation ahead but she's going with gumption and I can see where I get my work ethic. I have learned so much in this last month 1/2 that has changed me. I want to give a big hug to those who supported me when I was a mess...ha! Leslie, Brett, Laura, Erica, Cathy, Leah, Jennifer...and the list goes on and on. 


Life is short, enjoy each day and don't have regrets ~ and don't forget to hug your mom. 




Mom's discharge date 

Mom on the roof of her rehab enjoying fresh air 

Me & Mom on a beach walk in March 


Mom in the unit during a scare, not afraid to smile. 


Cheers, Ryan 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye to a Vibrant Soul - Dottie Frank

Farewell to Dean Stephens of WCIV-TV