Running for Leslie McCravy... and Peyton

Join me on Saturday, May 14 for this great event! 

In 1999, I lost my best friend, Peyton Tuthill to a senseless act of murder. Her death and the subsequent trials and events that followed truly changed my life forever. So when I originally met Debbie McCravy while hosting Lowcountry Live, it was her first year starting a 5K in honor of her daughter, Leslie who was killed senselessly as well. Instantly, I bonded with Debbie and although I haven't lost a child, I had experienced the pain and horror of murder...the whys and why nots. This year, Debbie asked me to be a part of the committee for the Leslie McCravy Memorial 5k Run/Walk I graciously agreed and felt honored. Due to my crazy schedule, I've had to miss a few meetings (most, sorry Debbie!) but I tried what I could to get those I knew to donate to this great cause. Thank you to Pam at Whole Foods Market who will be donating the waters and fruit for the event, John at Cru Cafe for the gift certificates, Mary at Square Onion for the certificates, Melissa Gray for the beautiful jewelry...these are just to name a few who are helping this great event with their donations. It's such a great thing to see a community come together. I hope we get a wonderful turnout for this event and I KNOW next year will be even bigger.  

But on that day, when I lace up my running shoes, I will be thinking of Leslie McCravy knowing she's up there with my best friend, Peyton, smiling down at us all as we come together and turn tragedy into triumph. So please join me for this great event. 

And remember, life is short. Tell those you love how you feel and cherish each moment with them because life truly can change in an instant. 



Here's the details....

3rd Annual Leslie McCravy Memorial 5k Run/Walk
Saturday May 14, 2011 @ 8AM

Leslie McCravy was a young woman full of great joy, hope, and an unbelievable amount of potential when her life was tragically taken from her just ten days after her 25th birthday in 2007.  She was shot in the back and killed while fleeing an abusive situation.  The next day,Leslie’s father, Larry McCravy, found her body lying outside of her West Ashley home.  “I prefer to think that she did not know she was going to be shot that night and wasn’t running for her life, and would like to think that she was leaving to come home and never knew her life would end,” says Leslie’s mother, Debbie McCravy.

In honor of this beautiful woman and her 25 glorious years, Leslie McCravy’s friends and family have joined forces with Pet Helpers to establish the Leslie McCravy Memorial 5K Run/Walk.  During the past three years of collaboration, Debbie and Larry, who was diagnosed with the incurable neuromuscular disease ALS just 6 months after Leslie’s death, have been fortunate to meet and bond with other individuals who have also dealt with tragedy.  Ryan Nelson, whom they met while doing an appearance on Lowcountry Live in 2009, found her best friend murdered just 6 months before losing her fiancé in a car accident.  They also got to know Emily Laurie, former Public Relations Coordinator at Pet Helpers, who lost six of her best friends in a single car accident.  Sadly, it was tragedy that brought these individuals together, but it is with great purpose that they continue to all be involved in the planning of Leslie’s race.

In the past two years, the race has generated over $30,000 for Pet Helpers. This year’s goal is to continue to honor Leslie’s drive and ambition through community participation and support of Pet Helpers.  This year’s race will have an after party at Blu Restaurant & Bar with musical group Ben Fagan and the Holy City Hooligans.

Participants are encouraged to register on active.com for the May 14th Race.  Registration fees are as follows:
 Early: $25 through May 1. Kids 12 and under- $10
 Late: $30 after May 1. Kids 12 and under- $15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to Dean Stephens of WCIV-TV

Burgers, Brews & Business - King Street Grille